I've never met anyone who didn't like donuts. Donuts come is a variety of flavors and shapes. From small to large, there is a donut for everyone. Since earlier this month was National Donut Day I decided to celebrate with making some donuts of my own.
If you don't feel like going to your local donut shop it's okay. These donuts are easy to make and only require two mixing bowls. With the Farmer's Market season in full swing this is a great time to use fresh and local fruits in your baking. These donuts will be perfect for the Father or graduate in your life or any day you want donuts for breakfast.
Glazed Blueberry Donuts
Yield - 6 donuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/4 cup greek yogurt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup halved fresh blueberries
Yield - glazes 6 donuts
1/4 cup milk (I used 2 %)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Rainbow sprinkles to sprinkle on top
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 6 count donut pan with non-stick baking spray.
For the donuts:
1. In a medium sized bowl whisk all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, and granulated sugar. Set aside.
2. In a separate medium sized bowl whisk milk, greek yogurt, egg, melted unsalted butter, and pure vanilla extract. Set aside.
3. Place halved blueberries into a bowl and sprinkle with flour. (The flour avoids sinking)
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Be careful not to overmix.
5. Gently fold in blueberries.
6. Option 1: Spoon batter into donut cups.
7. Option 2: Place batter in gallon sized ziploc bag and cut bottom tip off. Pipe the batter in each of the donut cups until 3/4 full.
8. Bake donuts for 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown.
9. Allow donuts to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
10. Remove donuts from pan and place on cooling rack until almost completely cooled.
For the glaze:
1. Place milk, powdered sugar, and pure vanilla extract, in a small sauce pan on low heat.
2. Whisk ingredients until combined and smooth. Remove from heat.
3. Glaze donuts with a pastry brush. Let glaze dry for a few minutes.
I hope everyone is having a great June and a great start to the Summer. Yeah for beach days and Summer reads. I hope you all get some time to enjoy.
Savor The Baking,